Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not a high falutin' art form

I was chatting with Noah yesterday, and he was bugging me to put up a clip from the Jeffrey Brown interview from a week or so ago, so here it is. One of the interesting things to me is the sheer volume of great cartooning happening in Chicago -- which I'm sure will bowl me over more thoroughly when I go to zinefest this weekend.

So I've started asking Chicago folks, 'what the hell IS it about Chicago'. This is Jeff's answer. I want to add that I have a really funny clip from this interview, but I'm saving it for the 'outtakes' reel.

In other news, I've been working to set up the interview with Anne Elizabeth Moore. In anticipation of the interview I went out and picked up her book 'Unmarketable: Brandalism, Copyfighting, Mocketing, and the Erosion of Integrity' which I'm working through, and enjoying. You can pick up a copy at your local bookstore.

John -- I believe -- is in Chicago today. Tonight is the School of the Art Institute (SAIC) comics symposium, and afterwards we're interviewing a couple of his old friends. Should be good! By the way, I'm going to suggest that in future, when doing a symposium, it be marketed as 'putting the simp back in symposium'. Funny, no?

I won't lie, the last couple days have been really tough, anxiety wise, as I get ready for this trip with John, everything seems to be sort of backing up behind me. Despite working for fifteen years as a community organizer for progressive and lefty causes, I truly fear change, and the bottom line is, I really hate the idea of being away from Crystal for two weeks. But it'll be fun. I swear.

I took my camera in to get a good once over, and realized he needs a name. I'm going with 'Buddy' for a few reasons.

A) Buddy Glass was the fictional chronicler of the Glass family. He documented the scene, as it were. Also, his older brother was Seymour, who our car is named after.

B) Buddy Holly. Just, well, Buddy Holly.

C) When I don't know someone's name, but I know the person (that is, I've forgotten their name, awkwardly), I call them 'Buddy', as in 'Hey Budddy, great to see you!' etc. etc.

D) Ole Jerry David passed away this year, and I was saddened by the number of people who said, 'he was alive?!?'

Ok, that's it. Enjoy the clip. I'm going to try to get a good Laura Mars clip up before I go, but I'm not promisin' anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment